Saturday, July 4, 2009

Kayaking at Punggol 03July09

Date: 3rd July 09 (Friday)

Had wanted to go for some Kayak fishing on the 2nd July afternoon but was disappointed by a heavy downpour. Therefore, i got to cancelled the trip and no chance to bring my Orange pearl for some outing. Eventually, i decided to have a few hours of kayaking on the next day as well as to test out my Garmin fish finder.


What a beauty..my Orange Pearl!

Me and wife reached Punggol end at around 4pm and the weather was still pretty hot. Setting up my Kayak was a sweating affair. This time round, i had my Double deck, Fish Finder and AEC backbone fixed into my Kayak.


Some modification on the rod holder with padded back support

With much consideration, it is more wise to have all my modification to be as simple as possible. It is quite a headache to carry so many things when going for my Kayak trip. Moreover, its really a pain in the neck if i'm alone setting everything all by myself.



My Fishfinder console

My objective of this trip is to test out my Garmin Fishfinder with the 12V AA size Battery holder. I used 8 brand new AA size Ikea Alkaline battery on my Garmin but sadly, it is not so ideal as it shows only 8.5V on my half hour testing even with brand new battery. Hence, maybe i'll be trying out with other type of batteries on this holder or maybe, it will be good to use those 12V Lead Acid Battery.

Backbone installed on my AEC

Backbone at the Bow

Backbone holding at the Stern


Shierly having much fun for the first time on my Kayak

Since it was Shierly's first trip on my Kayak and it was just purely a Kayaking trip, i must let her counter her fear first and to get use in Kayaking. Surprisingly, being a tandem, the 15ft AEC is a really stable Kayak even when we came across some wave created by those speed boat. With the AEC Backbone installed this time, i can feel the difference immediately as the Kayak can cut through the water effortlessly even with 2 person on it. From my personal point of view on the this hundred over dollars gadget, although it is not that easy installing into the Kayak especially positioning the backbone and the floor base for a first timer, the money spent on this upgrade is really worth it as it does improved the Kayak's performance by some great margin.


A happy trip for both of us


Its dinner time....time to back up

Overall all, my wife and i had a really fun 3 hours trip at Punggol before the sky gets dark. Anyway, I'ill be planning some more kayaking session with my wife in the future so that we can make full use of this Kayak. Last but not least, after the trip, there will be many cleaning and drying of stuff to do, and the best part is....i got to do it all by myself...Hahahaaaa!