Friday, April 18, 2008

Relaxing Sashimi trip at Sibu Ah Ngan Kelong

This is a very special Kelong Trip for me in year 2008 as my wife, Shierly agreed to join me for a 2 day 1 night Kelong getaway. The main reason why Shierly would join me is because her good friend, Guan Choon would like to try out fishing and also the other reason is to have a so called "Make new friend session" ; not for me or my wife but for my friend, Joon.

Luckily, the Jam at the Singapore checkpoint was still ok and I managed to enter Johore at 8am sharp. Joon’s friend, Vincent also joins us to the Kelong. Along the way to the Tanjung Leman Jetty, we had our “Pork Rib Soup” breakfast. The stall was situated along the road to Mersing and it has been around for quite sometime. Seriously, after the meal, I had concluded that this is one of the best "Pork Rib Soups" I have ever tasted and the soup was really damn good! So, for meat lover, next time when going up Sibu Kelong, this is the breakfast stall not to be missed and I mean it.



Vincent driving his "MYFISHING.ORG" Wira

At 1010am, we reached Tanjung Leman Jetty. There was a crowd at the Jetty as many people are waiting for the boat and I was a bit worried seeing so many people around. Fishing at Kelong is the best with minimum crowd and the after so many trip to Kelong, weekdays fishing are the best. Fortunately, majority of the crowd were going up to Ah Fatt Kelong.



Happily going to Kelong




Loading the stuff onto the boat


The sea was calm and the weather was really good. I managed to chat with Ah kok, the manager of the Kelong who is also on the boat with us. I was told that although water is very green chances of getting big "Green eyed cuttlefish" is pretty low and there are many jellyfish on the surface due to the water is pretty cold. On the Kelong, there are already about 20-30 people and I can see that most of the people are doing fishing and the potential spot were all taken up. Hence, I don’t really pin high hope in catching anything but bait fish. True enough, many bait fish was caught using Sabiki day and night. Not too long after our lunch, the weather turned bad and it started to rain for a couple of hours.



So many people doing fishing



Setting up our fishing gears



My live baitfish



Going to rain soon

During the night time, I managed to catch 5 pieces of small green eyed cuttlefish and Joon managed to get 2 pieces as well. Vincent, Guan Choon and my wife had no luck with the cuttlefish but all of us had a good feast on our catch. After cleaning and washing the cuttlefish, Joon used his razor sharp cutting knife to cut the cuttlefish into slices. Dipping our fresh Sashimi with Wasabi and Soya sauce was really fantastic. It was the best supper I had in Ah Ngan Kelong after so many trips.


Cuttlefish caught during the night


Quite small size



Preparation for Sashimi



Peeling off the cuttelfish skin



2 big plate of Sashimi



Cuttlefish caught by another uncle using it as bait




Cheers before our Sashimi feast



Wasabi and Soya Sauce for our Sashimi



At 12 midnight, I was too tired to fish anymore after squid jigging for the whole night and eventually I find my way to my dreamland till 7am in the morning. Which i don't usually practise during my Kelong trip.



Morning Sunrise


After having my morning breakfast with my wife, I continued targeting bait fish for a while but decided to stop as all my weight which I had bought was used up.




Chit-chatting and Prepare to go back home

Anyway, for this trip, although fishing result is the worst, it is not really that important to me at all. I’m very contended to have my wife accompany me on this trip and after all, i'm here to relax myself and also to accomplish my mission.