Thursday, December 6, 2007

JB-Layang Floating Kelong Trip

The Malaysia Johore Exploring Trip

Time: 0800am ~ 0500pm

Tide:
30Nov07 0352 2.3
30Nov07 0839 1.4
30Nov07 2233 0.7

Chinese Calander: 十月二十一



Sign directing us to the fishing land

Last week, was informed by my fishing kaki, Arthur, whom found a nice fishing place and had caught a 2kg Grunter (Gu-hook) . I was pretty impressed with his catch and the place he went. So, we arranged a Friday morning trip to this new fishing ground at Malaysia.

Arthur brought has wife and daughter along and also his friend, Teck Chin came along as well. We met at Permas Jaya early in the morning and the 3 cars head off to Rakit Layang, our new target fishing ground. The journey to R-Layang was a bit confusing but luckily, I have my GPS, it does helps a lot on directing the way for the trip. The toughest part of the driving is the last quarter of the journey where the road condition is not really pleasing to drive with a saloon car. Frankly speaking, at that point of time, how I wished that my ride is a 4WD….hohohooo!



The Convoy led by Arthur



One way lane



The Entrance to our fishing ground



Finally, i saw the sea


Upon reaching the fishing village, there was a pretty nice freshwater reservoir whereby there is a dam separating it from the sea. The place was nice and I have never expected that we are able to visit this kind of old style fishing village which had already disappeared from Singapore for long…long…time. Our fishing spot is not inshore but on a floating Kelong own by the malay villagers. The floating Kelong is not really a fish-rearing Kelong but a Kelong built for visitors to fish. There is a few such kind of Kelong in this area but too bad, it’s not as popular as Sibu Kelong and getting here definitely needs a transport or maybe your personal transport to be exact.

The weather was not really good as I can see some hint of dark clouds and it was pretty windy whereby the sea tends to be choppy. As this month is the monsoon season, the water in this area is sort of murky. The catch rate was not up to our expectation whereby not even a single bite for nearly a couple of hours. Moreover, I believe that there are many small fishes which have stolen our baits which causes our live prawns to be either dead or gone missing. Not a single 500g~1kg specs soul had come to rock our fishing gears. However, the only thing which keeps rocking is the floating platform. The rocking was caused by the incoming waves but no worries as it was not as bad as on a boat.




Layang information sign board


The fishing village



Our boat to the floating Kelong



Sheltered floating Kelong



Wow...so windy and where is my fish?


No fish then have a good rest



My Mee Goreng Lunch..Yummy!!!


At around 1530, Arthur had already landed a total of 3 small puffers, 1 Whiting (PasirPasir) and 1 Gelama. TeckChin landed 1 Duri, 1 Gelama and 1 puffer. For me, I landed a small eel which drops back into the water as it was trying to swallow my whole piece of prawn and luckily the hook did not set on this small fellow or else I would have a hard time cutting my line from this slimy creature.

Our lunch came pretty late and there was not enough live bait for us to use. I can feel that Arthur was not very happy as the live baited which we had requested was not delivering to us. Moreover, the tide window was closing and without live prawns, the chances of big catches were somehow equals to zero. Through Arthur’s wife, we got to know that they had some problems with the prawns as their stock had died due to the poor water condition. Luckily, TeckChin had brought some Kelong Ah Fatt’s Squid which he has kept for nearly 3 months in his fridge which comes in handy for targeting some fishes. As for me, without any live bait, I got to think of some good ways to fish. Without live prawn, we are really handicaps at this point of time.


Boxfish for fillet as bait

C'mon...where is my fish!!!

As for me, I’m pretty desperate to get some baits to attached onto my hook. So, i finally came out an idea to fillet the boxfish which Arthur had caught. As the weather is windy and there wasn't any bite, we decided to call it a day. While all of us started packing up, I went over to my Shakespear contender rod which I use a piece of boxfish meat attached to the hook. Upon retrieving, it seems i had caught sometime heavy and I thought i might have hooked onto some plastic bags. There wasn’t any fight or resistance and I just keep reeling it thinking it was not a fish. To my surprised, when the thing came up to the surface, it was a decent size grouper. Another grouper day for me as it seems i have been landing grouper in my recent fishing trip.

Yahoo..a Grouper finally!!!


Wow..a big mouth





Boat fishing anyone?



Going back home.



This fishing spot seems pretty decent and promising. Both Arthur and me decided to re-visit this Kelong once the monsoon is over and for sure, we will arrange for a offshore boat trip on our next JB-Layang trip.