Friday, October 26, 2007

A Luring Night trip on 25th Oct07

A fruitful night

Tide:
25th Oct 07 0405 0.7
25th Oct 07 1001 2.9
25th Oct 07 1618 0.5
25th Oct 07 2237 3.0

Chinese Calender: 九月十五





Since my last fishing trip with Arthur, my fishing urge was growing and I was unable to stop thinking of the big grouper which he has caught on that day. Therefore, I sms Arthur for a night luring trip on this Thursday as the water should be ideal. Darren, another fishing kaki was also interested and hence, we decided to meet at the East side before going to our productive spot.

On the Thursday morning, SMS was received from both Arthur and Darren. Arthur was asking whether the night trip will be confirmed and where else Darren informed that he was not able to make it for the night trip. Although one kaki couldn’t make it, it doesn’t reduce my growing urge to get some good fight.


My luring gear


Arthur and I met at a nearby hawker center near our fishing spot at 1945 to fill up my stomach making sure I have enough strength to fight the fish. At 2030, we reach our fishing spot. My arsenal for the night is a Pinnacle 1 piece 6ft BC rod which I have bought in year 2000 and have not been using it for not more than 5 times. This rod was used to pair up my Quantum Iron Bait-caster with 10lbs Tuf braided line. Another setup which I have brought is my 10ft Surecatch Prokat rod pairing with my Shimano GT Biomaster 4000 coupling with 30lb braided. For the first 30 minutes, no fish was caught and the night is really quiet. No surface action was seen and I was a bit disheartened. After so many casts on my newly bought sinking lure it doesn’t look promising at all although I have a good feeling that I might get something with it.



The first catch of the night






Hard to resist Berkley SP



My first grouper on lure




My 2nd Grouper on lure





The grouper terminator


Even a small glass fish could not resist it

What a hungry fish

Soon, the biting frenzy started when Arthur’s SP caught a 200g grouper but was release back to the water unintentionally which will be better not to mentioned it. Luckily Photo was taken on his first catch. Since then, the night becomes much better for both of us where we started to land fish one after another. Surprisingly, I caught my fish grouper on a lure and I can see that I have bought something which is effective for this trip. The Grouper seems to be unable to resist the temptation of our lure.



Give that man a beer...!

At about midnight, I move to another location near our spot to try out my lure. My 1st cast was a disaster as my lure was struck to some bottom object. Luckily, I managed to retrieve it. Out go my 2nd cast and was utterly shocked to see the rod which I’m holding on was bending like no tomorrow. My 10lb line was tearing out from my Quantum Iron in a fast pace and the strength of the fish was unstoppable. After a tough fight with the unknown biggy for around 10minutes, a silvered-bodied fish at a length of 3ft or more surfaced. My initial feeling on the fish could be a Barramudi(Siakap) but I’m wrong….. It was a BARRACUDA and a big one.



The big monster which harressed my sinking lure

The rear treble hook on my lure was securely hooked onto the mouth of the Barracuda and I’m pretty lucky that my line was not caught at the mouth of this big fish or else, I have no chance to see this fish surfaced. Even though I have won the battle seeing the exhausted fish floating, I had another problem. The fish was too heavy for me to lift it up from where I’m fishing and I can feel the amount of stress on my leader line and my rod. Without a Gaff, It’s extremely difficult for me to do anything. Eventually, my leader could not hold on anymore and off goes the big Barracuda and my 11 dollars lure. With despair, I see my fish sinking down into the bottom. As this is the very first big fish I landed on lure, I wanted to take a good picture of it. At that moment, I unloaded all my stuff on my body (with my shirt and shorts on) and jump into the water to salvage it. Due to the depth of the water, I can hardly do anything as the fish was gone from our sight.




A wet man with his toad fish


What a handsome face

With my whole bodied soaking with saltwater, I continued with my lure fishing with sadness. After an unexpected battle lost, the night becomes quiet and no fish was biting on our lure. Managed to land a decent sized Toad fish with my 10ft rod and nothing was landed after it. The tide was going down at a rapid speed and the current was strong underneath. Lots of rubbish was seen floating on the water and both of us called it a day at 0200.

It was a pretty fruitful night for both of us and I have a very satisfying encounter with a big Barracuda. With this experience, I have more confident in doing luring and it will be a very good alternative for me if I’m not going for an offshore trip. Do stay tuned on my blog and I will update my luring activities to you soon.



Our take home prize